10 Ways to Enjoy a More Active Family Life
One of the best ways to increase your personal wellness is to find someone to hold you accountable, and for you to do the same for them. Who better to do this with than your own family? Whether you and your partner are looking for a way to get motivated or you have young kids who need to learn the importance of wellness, making fitness a family activity is a great idea.
Not sure how to get started? Below are 10 ways to enjoy a more active family life. You’ll get the dual benefit of spending time with the people you love, while also making fitness and activity a priority. Give any or all of them a shot:
- Enjoy a brisk walk: Walking is the easiest way to get the whole family up and moving. Take a walk around the block, head to a nearby park, stroll through the local cemetery or hop on a local path for a quick jaunt. If you have a dog, it’s the perfect excuse to put on your walking shoes.
- Go for a bike ride: Biking is a great alternative to walking and something everyone can enjoy. Find a scenic bike trail nearby and put a few miles in. If you live near a lake or lengthy park, scenic rides are a great way to spend an afternoon. Plus, biking is easy enough to enjoy, yet strenuous enough to leave you feeling accomplished after.
- Run for a cause: Lace up those shoes and put on a bib! Entering the family in a 5k run/walk or any other short distance run is a run way to encourage a little healthy competition. Run together, see who finishes first or make a few new friends while your team races for a good cause.
- Go for a swim: If your family is more aquatically inclined, trade in running shoes for a swim cap and hit the pool. Swimming is a wonderful way to condition your whole body and offers zero impact compared to running. Everyone from toddlers to grandparents can enjoy time spent in the water.
- Take a hike: If you live in an area rife with hiking trails, make them your destination for a weekend excursion. Hiking not only builds stamina and burns calories, it connects you to nature and exposes you to the natural beauty of the world around you. Pack a map and some trail mix for the whole family!
- Vacation and explore: Going on vacation doesn’t have to mean lazing by the beach all day. Pound the pavement in a major metropolitan city or kayak and hike through untamed wilderness. Take a vacation to a place the whole family can explore and spend time doing things, instead of staying cooped up in a hotel room.
- Divvy up the chores: Your family can get active and stay fit without leaving home. Take the growing list of chores and divvy them up, giving everyone jobs to accomplish. Whether it’s mowing the lawn, cleaning the bathroom or reorganizing the garage, there’s bound to be plenty of calories burned.
- Play a sport: There are so many sports to consider and plenty of opportunities to join recreational leagues. Enroll you and your partner in an adult kickball league, sign the kids up for soccer, or hoop it up in your own driveway with a family game of Horse. Sports keep you active and teach skills like hand-eye coordination and decision-making.
- Get involved with the community: Community events are a great place to enjoy time with family, stay active and get to know the neighborhood. Walk through the local farmer’s market, sign up for a community cleanup day or traipse through the neighborhood visiting rummages. You’ll stay active and meet your neighbors!
- Go on an adventure: One of the best ways to stay fit is simply to see the world as an adventure. Take the family geocaching, be tourists in your own city or make it a point to explore nearby destinations you’ve never been to. With the spirit of adventure, you’ll spend more time up and active than you do sitting on the couch.
Each of these activities can accommodate your whole family, no matter how many of you there are. See what activities are most popular with everyone and get out there to try those first! Or, toss them all into a hat and take turns picking which activity you do next. It doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you stay active and do it as a family!