Online Weight Loss Programs: Which Is Best for You?
Like most aspects of modern life, the Internet has revolutionized the way we lose weight.
These days, you can access several libraries worth of articles and videos on diet, nutrition and exercise online ― from pretty much anywhere, on any device.
So, with all this information at our fingertips, why aren’t we all at our ideal weight?
We’re presented with so much information about weight loss ― including a flood of conflicting, contradictory and plain old inaccurate information ― that we don’t know what to do with it.
Information is great, but what we really need is direction ― simple, clear, step-by-step direction.
That’s where online weight loss programs can make a difference.
Online weight loss programs turn information into action. They tell you what to do, meal by meal, day by day, to reach your goals.
This post will help you understand the benefits of online weight loss programs, how online weight loss programs work, as well as differences in the features and tools used by various online weight loss programs.
Benefits of online weight loss programs
“How much should I eat?”
“How often should I eat?”
“Should I eat this … or that?”
“What type of exercise will help me burn the most calories?
“Why isn’t the scale budging?”
“What do I do now?”
When you’re trying to lose weight, you have questions, and you need answers ― not just blanket information on diet and nutrition, but highly personalized, specific recommendations tailored specifically to you.
That’s probably the biggest benefit of the most effective online weight loss programs ― rather than leaving you on your own to figure everything out, they cut through the clutter and give structure to information, showing you the specific steps you need to take to get from where you are to where you want to be.
Another benefit of online weight loss programs is that they are interactive. They keep customers engaged through interactive tools and features. So, rather than just thinking about weight loss, you are actively doing something about it and constantly moving toward your goal.
The best online weight loss programs have interactive tools that provide in-depth feedback, usually in the form of personal coaching or one-on-one counseling, that you can use to make adjustments and maximize your results.
Online weight loss programs versus traditional weight loss programs
Online weight loss programs often offer significant benefits compared to traditional weight loss programs.
There are two types of traditional weight loss programs: paper programs and in-person programs.
Paper programs are usually based on books. They give you a bunch of information and then leave it up to you to makes sense of it all. And if you have a question, run into a roadblock, hit a plateau, have a setback, get frustrated or need motivation? Good luck.
In-person programs include commercial weight loss programs that require you to attend meetings or physicians weight loss programs that require you to make regular visits to a medical weight loss clinic.
In-person weight loss programs can be great in terms of providing the type of one-on-one counseling and responsiveness that is crucial to weight loss success, but they also place tremendous demands on your time and can be very inconvenient.
Online weight loss programs blend the best of both worlds. They are accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so customers can go online any time and get the answers and support they need and follow a program at their own pace, on the schedule that works best for their life.
How online weight loss programs work
Online weight loss programs use a combination of information, action-steps, apps, trackers and other interactive tools and features to guide you through the process of losing weight.
The best online weight loss programs also include a maintenance component with tools and strategies to keep weight off.
Customers typically subscribe to an online weight loss program on a monthly basis and sign in as often as they like to access the tools available through a program.
Where online weight loss programs differ is in the specific direction they provide, how they deliver it, the interactive tools they use and the technology behind the tools. All of these things add up to the unique features of a program.
Features and tools of online weight loss programs
The number one reason online weight loss programs work so well is the features and tools available to customers that provide structure, direction and motivation for reaching their goals.
In general, the more opportunities you have to interact with an online weight loss program, the more likely you are to stick with the program and feel confident in both your day-to-day choices and your progress.
Some people prefer a streamlined approach or simply don’t have the time to use all the interactive tools and features some programs offer, while others enjoy having the option to engage in a number of ways with their online weight loss program.
The real key is that the tools offered by your weight loss program should be easy to use. If you find the tools or technology offered by a weight loss program confusing or difficult to follow, it’s definitely not the best program for you.
Look for a program that offers a comprehensive and effective set of tools that are also practical to fit into your day.
With that in mind, here are some features and tools you might find helpful in an online weight loss program:
- Articles and advice on every aspect of health, weight loss, nutrition, fitness, motivation and mindset.
- Exercise plans and fitness videos including step-by-step video instruction to help you exercise with a specific focus on weight loss.
- Weight Loss Coaching that removes all the guesswork from losing weight with personalized guidance on every aspect of getting lean, from your eating patterns to your exercise habits. An online weight loss coach can give you personalized advice on diet, nutrition and exercise that’s tailored to your challenges, likes and dislikes.
We believe that weight loss coaching is the single most important tool or feature of any online weight loss program, and has the greatest impact on results, which is why we include it as a standard feature of our program, The LOVIDIA Way.
The most significant benefit of one-on-one counseling is specific guidance that optimizes your metabolism and maximizes fat and calorie burning. Since it’s all spelled out for you in plain English, there’s no worry about whether you’re doing the program correctly, and you can be sure you’re getting the best, safest and fastest results possible.
- Tracking apps that help you see your progress, which is critical to staying motivated and on track. This should include the small victories and positive changes taking place in your life that don’t always show up on the scale!
- Easy-to-read charts and graphs to let you see at a glance how your eating and exercise habits impact your progress.
- Customizable meal and snack planning tools that help you to account for health concerns like low-cholesterol or low sodium eating as well as dietary preferences such as vegan or vegetarians.
- A recipe archive with healthy, easy-to-make meal options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and snack time.
- A grocery-shopping planner to make sure your fridge and pantry are packed with the foods that will help you lose weight.
- A food substitution guide to help you make smart, healthy choices.
- Portion- and calorie-control tools. This should include tools that help you identify the different impact fats, sugar, carbs and protein can have on your metabolism and your body’s ability to burn calories efficiently.
- Dining-out guides to help you follow the program and eat for weight loss when dining out at restaurants.
- Food/eating Journals to help you pinpoint which food and lifestyle choices are having a positive effect on your weight loss, so you can see a clear path to achieving your goals.
- Community support that provides a sense of kinship with other customers who can offer advice, keep you accountable, and cheer your success.
- Strong social media presence where you can reach out to the company or other users to get suggestions and share tips.
For more on the benefits of online weight loss programs and personal weight loss coaching, visit The LOVIDIA Way webpage.